While networking can be fun and exhilarating, stay focused on the reason you are there. It is to enhance your career. So while you’ll run into friends and have fun, remember that this is the ‘professional you’.
During Networking Events:
- Exhibit high energy and a positive attitude
- NEVER speak negatively about your company or any other one….or other people
- Ask relevant questions when talking to people
- Listen a lot
- Don’t drink alcohol (people tend to remember poor behavior)
- Don’t discuss religion or politics
- Discuss things that will make you stand out (i.e. volunteer work, articles you’ve written, teams you are working on)
- Don’t just use people for what you can get; try to help others out as well
- Collect business cards so you can follow-up later
Susan Caplan is the go-to MARKETING YOURSELF expert. She is an inspiring keynote speaker, consultant, teacher and author of the Marketing Yourself to the Real World™ book series.
Purchase Books: Marketing Yourself to the Real World™