The handshake is the first impression you will make when you meet someone. Whether you are at a career fair, social event or interview, shake hands with everyone you meet. A handshake can share a lot about an individual’s confidence and professionalism, so take time to practice.
- Clean your hand of any food or moisture before you extend it.
- Extend your right hand straight out, keeping your four fingers together.
- Firmly take the other persons hand (don’t squeeze too tightly, but don’t be too soft).
- Keep your elbow close to your body and shake from the elbow…not the shoulder. Your whole arm shouldn’t move.
- Stand up straight, look the other person in the eye and smile.
- A handshake should not be replaced with a high five or a fist bump.